I’m playing catch up today. Which is actually a good thing, because this past week was unusually crazy and stressful and as a result I haven’t had the time or creativity to write a more thoughtful or thought-provoking or thought-requiring blog post. (That typing post was drafted ages ago and I’m actually in the midst of one based on my week’s events, but, not surprisingly, it’s not finished yet.)
So, today I am doubly thankful to Ann at Dr. Fatty Finds Fitness for “tagging” me and to Erica at afoodaddict for giving me the Versatile Bloggers Award:) In theory I’d need to tell you 18 random things about myself, but I’m going to cheat and do less because I’m having a hard time of coming up with things for both that I haven’t already shared!
Here we go… more random facts about Karen:
1. I only had two wisdom teeth. I had no problems with them until a decade or so ago when my dentist put a crown on a molar back there. I ended up having both wisdom teeth pulled. (I also eventually ended up changing dentists!) I ate a lot of chocolate ice cream and mac & cheese while I was healing.
2. One of my favorite books is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I read it right before I visited Savannah and had a lot of fun seeing the places that I read about. I even went to a drag show while there because Lady Chablis, a character from the book, was performing. Very fun.
3. I can do a cartwheel but it isn’t pretty. I can’t do a back bend. Okay, I don’t think I can do a back bend; I haven’t attempted it since I was a kid and I’m pretty sure I’d hurt myself if I tried. I’d probably hurt myself doing the cartwheel too, now that I think about it:(
4. I never tried sweet potatoes until about two years ago. I love them! My mom never made them when I was growing up. She also never made meatloaf or tuna noodle casserole. If she reads this I suspect she’ll jokingly say, “You were so deprived.”
5. I got a perm when I was a kid that made me feel like Orphan Annie. I swore I’d never get another. I thought my hair was straight until I grew it out in my 20s and discovered that it curls in some places and waves in others. Very uncooperative. I have grown to really dislike washing my hair every day and whenever I can, go without. It’s not the washing as much as the blowing dry and straight. And that my color lasts longer if I wash less often. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!
6. I am really enjoying doing crossword puzzles on our tablet. I’ve also gotten addicted to Solitaire which is quite surprising to me because, while I have often done “pen(cil) and paper” crosswords, I’ve NEVER played Solitaire on the computer and it’s been years and years since I did it “old school” with a deck of cards. Confession: the app on my tablet lets me choose to play a “winning” game.
7. My favorite part of yoga just might be the head rolls we do at the beginning of class. My neck feels so happy:) I wish we spent longer on it. I wish I thought to do them at home! I think I’ll do some right now! Be right back…
8. I don’t wear shoes unless I have to. But I don’t walk outside barefoot except at the beach or to get the morning paper. And I never walk on our deck shoeless because I got a huge splinter a decade ago (from the dock at the lake house) that festered in my foot for months!
9. I desperately need a new desk chair. Mine is so old it tilts to one side and my back aches. I’ve shopped and shopped and can’t find anything I like. I bought one and returned it. I bought another and hated it and it sits unused in the basement. It’s too hard to tell in the store if a chair will be comfortable for a long time sitting at home! I’m thinking of getting a stand for my exercise ball instead so I can work my core while I’m at the computer:) I need the stand to make it high enough for me to reach the keyboard comfortably!
10. Sometimes I actually research grammar rules when I’m writing a blog post. My biggest problem seems to be remembering which words to capitalize in titles. Yes, my inner perfectionist is at play. And I still hear my teachers’ voices in my head when I end a sentence with a preposition, but my boys tell me it’s considered acceptable now. I’m going with them on this one:)
1. What was the last meal you ate out? Was it as good as you thought it would be? We went to dinner with friends a week or so ago. I don’t know what I expected but I liked the appetizers more than my entree. I don’t drink alcohol very often but was in the mood that night and my grapefruit martini was rather tasty.~~
2. What was the last movie you saw in a theater? Was it good? On our anniversary in August, my husband and I saw the last Harry Potter movie. I’m pretty cheap so that was a splurge for me; we usually wait for the DVDs and then just get them for free from the library. But we did save money with a matinee:) And, yes, it was good. Not great, but good.~~
3. What radio station do you listen to most? I don’t listen; I love quiet. In the car on road trips my husband will tune in oldies or an 80s station on Sirius radio and I’m fine with that.~~
4. Which would you want to be a Vampire or Werewolf? Why? Okay, I’m totally stumped with this one. I’m going with Werewolf because I’m not a night person. Wait – do they only come out at night too?~~
5. What is one of your most vivid memories from grade school? In third grade I won a prize for being the girl who read the most books in our class that year. I can even tell you who won the boy’s prize. Not surprisingly I had a little crush on him:)~~
6. What was your favorite vacation? This is like asking me to pick a favorite flavor of ice cream! Impossible. But I’ll go with one I’d like to do again… One summer as a college student I went to Europe on a group tour. We visited something like 20 countries in 20 minutes. That kind of thing. I saw some amazing sights. I’d so love to go back and do it more slowly. And I’d blog the whole thing for you!~~
7. Where would you go if money and time were no consideration? Why? I’d travel around the world, first class all the way:)~~
8. What is your one pet peeve? The one thing that drives you nuts. Really?! Just one? I have so many. Okay… let’s go with hearing people eat. It’s like fingers on a chalkboard to me.~~
9. Which is worse…..a complete physical exam(pap for women, rectal for men) OR a trip to the dentist? Why? Okay, this one really did have me laughing out loud. I mean, really. Cold metal things in my mouth or cold metal things in my… ahem… Need I say more?~~
10. Do you like summer or winter best? Why? Summer. Because I don’t need a coat. Because I can go to yoga class at the gym in sandals. Because of the yummy seasonal fruits. Because it doesn’t drag on and on for months on end when I think it should be over already! Because there’s a chance my boys will be home for longer than a quick “hi” and “bye.”~~
11. What is one thing you wish people knew about you? I’m really very shy. When I was in high school one of my friends told me that before she knew me she thought I was a snob. Not! Just afraid to say “hi” first.
I know I’m supposed to pass these on now. But I’ve passed both on before and have no idea anymore who has and has not been tagged or given the blog award. So… please forgive me for not fulfilling my blogger’s obligation. I am hanging my (fried-brain- filled) head in shame. I’m going to buckle down now, instead, and work on that other blog post! And wait for inspiration to strike.